Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, August 6, 2007

Cole's ER Debut & the Kindness of Strangers

At 11:00 this morning Cole, Savannah, & I were making our way into Wal-Mart. About 5 ft. from the front door Cole tripped and fell. From the sound that was made as his head hit the concrete, I knew I didn't really want to see the right side of his forehead nor did I have any idea what I was going to do with Savannah who I was carrying in my left arm. At about the instant I decided I was just going to have to set her down on the ground, a mother with her small child came out of Wal-Mart with a cart full of stuff and asked what she could do. So she held Savannah for me while I took a good look at Cole. As expected he had a GIGANTIC goose egg above his right eye. Another mother had come up behind us and offered her help as well. She went in and got an entire bag of ice for us. A man who had been standing outside Wal-Mart put some ice in a Wal-Mart bag for us so I could hold it on Cole's head. Cole didn't really want the ice, but I was able to hold it on there a little. I quickly called the doctor's office to find out if I should go to see our pediatrician or head to the ER. They said go to the closest ER so that is what we did. The mom who was holding Savannah carried her to the car for me while pushing her cart and buckled her into her car seat while I got Cole into his car seat. Luckily the closest ER is only about 5 min. from Wal-Mart and was not busy at all so we were able so go right back. Matt was able to meet us there shortly after we arrived. Cole is fine and we will just have to watch him closely for a couple of days. He was lucid and acting normal through everything. We will go see our pediatrician for a follow-up in a couple of days. Thank you so much to all of the "strangers" who helped us. I did not hold it together quite as well as this little narrative sounds and if each of those people had not been there to help me I am not sure what I would have done. God really does provide for our every need!!

Here are some pictures of the "boo-boo". Within 2 hours of the fall we were home and watching Veggie Tales. The swelling is already much better than it was. Cole is dancing in circles, jumping, and climbing as usual. Children bounce back so quickly!



2 comments:

Mindy said...

OUCH! That head of his sure has taken a few hits! We love you Cole and hope you are feeling better!

JoniDH said...

Bless his heart - he has more than his share of knocks on the noggin! Glad everyone is okay. I'm so thankful there are still good samaritans around!! Love you all.